RE: IP Acounting Idea for 2.5

From: Leif Sawyer (lsawyer@gci.com)
Date: Tue Apr 17 2001 - 14:09:09 EST

Jesse Pollard replies:
to Leif Sawyer who wrote:
>> Besides, what would be gained in making the counters RO, if
>> they were cleared every time the module was loaded/unloaded?
>
> 1. Knowlege that the module was reloaded.
> 2. Knowlege that the data being measured is correct
> 3. Having reliable measures
> 4. being able to derive valid statistics

Good. Now that we have valid objectives to reach, which of these
are NOT met by making the fixes entirely in userspace, say by
incorporating a wrapper script to ensure that no external applications
can flush the table counters?

They're still all met, right?

And we haven't had to fill the kernel with more cruft.