Won't Power down (Was: More about 2.4.3 timer problems)

From: viking (viking@flying-brick.caverock.net.nz)
Date: Tue Apr 17 2001 - 16:54:46 EST

James Simmons wrote:

> >Thanks, that solved my problem. Have added it to the patch...
> >THe patch & 2.4.3 kernel seem to be working well, except that I can't get
> >PowerOff to kick in - it stops dead there, where it used to power down.
>
> Is this the case when the patch is removed as well. When does this occur
> exactly? After you load the module? Do you get any oops messages or does
> it just hang.

<comedy>
Module? What module? I don't need no steenking module to power down.
I jest pull de plug outta de wall!
</comedy>

It has happened with both straight kernel, and patched.
Incidentally, Andrew, thanks for that patch. And thanks to
James Simmons too, for that Makefile fix.
I get (on a Mandrake 7.2+bits of 8 system) roughly:

Starting killall script [OK}
Setting hardware clock to system time [OK]
Unmounting filesystems [OK]
The system is halted. <===== issued by rc script
Power Down. <========= issued by printk

... and it stops there... instead of turning the power off like it did under
2.2.18 and earlier.
No kernel oops message. Also, SysRq-O doesn't work - it just puts SysRq: up
on the screen.
The other SysRq functions I've tried work - (Kill), (Sync), (reBoot).
Thanks for your continued monitoring.

--
 /|   _,.:*^*:.,   |\           Cheers from the Viking family,
| |_/'  viking@ `\_| |            including Pippin, our cat
|    flying-brick    | $FunnyMail  Bilbo   : Now far ahead the Road has gone,
 \_.caverock.net.nz_/     5.39    in LOTR  : Let others follow it who can!