Re: kernel merge issues

From: Russell Cattelan (cattelan@thebarn.com)
Date: Fri Apr 20 2001 - 00:06:26 EST

james rich wrote:

> Hi folks,
> I'm sure many here have read the discussion on lkml about lvm and
> the problems that team is having. As part of that discussion it was said:

I'm not entirely familiar with the issues surrounding lvm development, I know
things
are not in good shape right now.

But I would say the following statement is unrealistic.
Trying to manage a large software project without source code control is
an even bigger nightmare than with source code control.
patch is NOT a source code control tool.
In fact a good source code control system would allow patch incremental
generation,
This is actually one glaring limitation of CVS, the ability group a set of
changes
together, aka "mod"
(Bitkeeper has addressed a lot of these issues; it can generate or accept
incremental
patch sets)

The lvm problems seems to be more of wetware issue than a source code
control tool issue.

Hopefully XFS will be able to keep ahead the problem of dramatically
diverging
code bases by staying active with Linus's releases.