Re: 2.4.3-ac10/ac11 crash at boot in PDC20265 check

From: Manuel McLure (manuel@mclure.org)
Date: Sat Apr 21 2001 - 21:19:37 EST

On 2001.04.21 19:02 Alan Cox wrote:
> > Found promise 20265 in RAID mode." message. I diffed ide-pci.c between
> ac5
> > (which worked) and ac10 (which fails) and found that the only change
> was
> > the check for the PDC20265 - I commented this out and the kernel boots
> fine
> > now.
>
> Can you send me the oops data. I'll take a look and figure out what is
> up.
> My first guess would be its a NULL pointer error ?

Yes, it's a NULL pointer dereference. I copied down part of the Oops - I'll
have to put the code back before I can copy down the rest. Here's what I
have until now:

Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address
00000024 printing eip:
c02a71de

pgd entry c0101000: 0000000000000000
pmd entry c0101000: 0000000000000000
.. pmd not present!
Oops: 0000
CPU: 0
EIP: 0010:[<c02a71de>]
EFLAGS: 00010286

According to System.map, c02a71de is in the middle of ide_setup_pci_device
which makes sense. ide_setup_pci_device starts at c02a7020.

--
Manuel A. McLure KE6TAW | ...for in Ulthar, according to an ancient
<manuel@mclure.org>     | and significant law, no man may kill a cat.