Re: light weight user level semaphores

From: Alon Ziv (alonz@nolaviz.org)
Date: Sun Apr 22 2001 - 11:08:37 EST

Oh, I don't argue about that. (Well, almost--- see below...)
It's just that we need _some_ method for getting over the silly POSIX
FD-handling restrictions... And the negative-FDs may be the solution.

(Note I said we 'can' declare other semantics; not 'should'. So these
FDs can still be normal ones, just at the other end of the numbering
range...)

My misgivings are:
* There's no way to integrate other signalling mechanisms; e.g., we may
  wish for a 'wake-all-waiters' signaller, or for a 'timed-wait' that
  arrives via an FD and not as a signal
* a pipe is a more-or-less good semaphore; it may be too heavyweight,
  as it's forced to pass useless [in this case] info, and we can't
  control its wakeup order [although POSIX doesn't seem to require this]

[ Actually, I once had an idea of binding signals into an FD, so they can be
  'read' out of it... with that, an alarm() is a 'timed-wait' waitable by
  poll() :-) ]

    -az