Re: [kbuild-devel] Re: Request for comment -- a better attribution system

From: Eric S. Raymond (esr@thyrsus.com)
Date: Sun Apr 22 2001 - 10:44:07 EST

Giacomo A. Catenazzi <cate@dplanet.ch>:
> Alternativelly we can generate MAINTAINER from ESR's map headers.
> In this case we should include this script in the Linus script to
> automagically create the i386 defconfig.

Aha! Somebody is actually *thinking* rather than having a
conservative reflex. Yes, boys and girls, this is exactly how I
planned to solve the I-want-to-be-able-to-grep-it problem.

Giacomo hasn't resolved the larger question of whether my distributed-
attribution proposal is a good idea or not. What he *has* done is
demonstrated that the resistance to it is mostly rationalized rather
than rational. Otherwise somebody else would have seen this a lot
sooner.