Re: Request for comment -- a better attribution system

From: Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Date: Sun Apr 22 2001 - 11:35:32 EST

On Sun, 22 Apr 2001, Eric S. Raymond wrote:

> Alexander Viro <viro@math.psu.edu>:
> > Eric, it would save everyone a lot of time if you actually cared to
> > pull your head out of your... theoretical constructions and spent
> > some efforts figuring out how the things really work.
>
> I've had my nose rubbed in how things really work. That's why I want to
> fix the things that are broken about how things really work.

Sigh... Would these broken things, by any chance, be "my grand ideas are
not met with applause"?

Take it from a guy who've done quite a few global changes: they are pretty
much doable, but spamming maintainers with requests to support your k3wl
ideas is not a way to go. All you are getting that way is a bunch of procmail
rules.

Everyone who had been on l-k for more than a couple of months had seen
$BIGNUM of "visionary" lusers with grand schemes of Changing The World(tm)
and monumental lack of desire to learn. Until you demonstrate that you
understand what you are "fixing" - don't expect special treatment.