Ext3 for Linux 2.4 progress report

From: Peter J. Braam (braam@mountainviewdata.com)
Date: Sun Apr 22 2001 - 21:40:10 EST

Hi Andreas, Stephen,

We have a lot working now:

1. journal recovery and initialization stuff is working
2. transactions go to the disk
3. infrastructure is there to do transcactions
4. ext3_create is fully operational.

The problems we have seen mostly have to do with differences in which
buffer heads are being initialized. Things like b_transaction etc. were
not cleaned up.

There are more buffer head problems around, but we are debugging them
quickly now.

You can play with this, make a loop device, mount it and to things like
touch (NOTE: only file creations have been handled so far). If you
re-mount a dirty ext3 image, it will recovery. The first few always
work, but at present things go wrong when bdflush kicks in.

We left a patch at:

ftp.inter-mezzo.org:/pub/ext3/242-ac26-1um.ext3-ph5_4.patch.gz

In the patch there are markers of the form @@@ with your names, asking for
help!

- Peter -