RE: 2.4.3+ sound distortion

From: Woller, Thomas (twoller@crystal.cirrus.com)
Date: Mon Apr 23 2001 - 10:01:45 EST

David,
your report sounds like a problem that we have seen in the test lab, but no
one has reported in the field... yet. :)
if the problem is the same as we have seen... unloading the driver and
reloading the driver should also clear up the problem. but typically the
problem only occurs after playing for several hours without a break in the
audio stream.

we think that we understand the problem (theoretically), in that we believe
that we need to manipulate a static DSP image location periodically that
gets too far out of value. the issue is that internal variables for the
static DSP image are not reinitialized on a task restart (e.g. restarting up
an audio stream). reloading the static image (i.e. suspend/resume or
reloading the driver) clears up the tinny sound here. it hadn't been
reported, so I haven't taken the time to plough through the static image map
to try to figure out where all the locations are for all the task images
that need manipulation. might take a while, but since we now have a problem
report, i'll try to find some time to start negotiating the DSP map. i'll
send the fix to you for testing when/if... i can get the problem resolved.
thanks

tom
twoller@crystal.cirrus.com