filp_open() in 2.2.19 causes memory corruption

From: Jeff V. Merkey (jmerkey@vger.timpanogas.org)
Date: Mon Apr 23 2001 - 13:04:16 EST

I am now using the filp_open() call in kernel to scan for tape
devices in lieu of chrdev_open()/blkdev_open(), but I have
discovered that calling this api with non-existent devices
appears to result in memory corruption and some nasty oops.

I have attached the code fragment and oops generated by calling
ScanTapeDevices(). This basically works the way Al Viro described,
and I like the auto-probing of the tape device via calls to
filp_open(), which is really slick, if I can just get over
the oops, I think it's there.

Jeff