Re: BUG: Global FPU corruption in 2.2

From: alad@hss.hns.com
Date: Tue Apr 24 2001 - 02:56:24 EST

Hi,
     I want to look into this problem. Its seems to be very interesting. But I
was not following the thread from the beginning (and I mistakely deleted all
these mails :( .. ).. I hope you won't mind answering following questions...

1) you are doing this on an MP or a uniprocessor ?
2) I want to know how are you calling sys_ptrace(Attach) and
sys_ptrace(detach).. i.e is it something linke following

      for(;;){
     sys_ptrace(attach to process);
     sys_wait4();
     sys_ptrace(detach from process);
      }

In short the sequence of system calls you are using for attaching and detaching
to the process

3) Have you tried doing attach and detach only once ? If not.. can you please
try this and let me know whether by doing attach and detach one time also
results in global FPU corruption. Please do not fork in the above process.

---------

Whenever process A calls sys_ptrace(Attach) to Process B, sys_ptrace sends
SIGSTOP to process B.
Now process B in do_signal, checks that it is being traced and then it does the
following
     current->state = TASK_STOPPED;
     notify_parent(current,SIGCHLD);
     schedule();

so now in schedule() --> __switch_to --> unlazy_fpu() function we do following
     if (current->flags & PF_USEDFPU)
          save_fpu();

In save_fpu() we do following
     fnsave current->tss.i387
     fwait;

I want to ask a question....... is it possible if 'somehow' we were not able to
save the complete floating point state with fnsave i.e. current->tss.i387 is
'invalid' after
          fnsave current->tss.i387
     fwait;

Thanks