Re: [kbuild-devel] Request for comment -- a better attribution system

From: Markus Schaber (markus.schaber@student.uni-ulm.de)
Date: Tue Apr 24 2001 - 03:38:54 EST

Hi,

mirabilos wrote:

> > > It whould nice also if we include the type of the license (GPL,...).
> > > This for a fast parsing (and maybe also to replace the few lines
> > > of license)
> > Is there any kernel code that isn't GPLed?
> It must not, due to the GPL viral effect.

Well, would it be possible to create some module under LGPL, and then
have included it into the kernel? Maybe it needs to maintain the LGPL
version out of the kernel, and transform a copy to the GPL before
submitting?

Or what about using a "twin-licence" that states "you can apply GPL or
$another_licence, whichever you want"?

And what about real "public domain" software, where the author gave up
all rights? (AFAIK, this is not legally possible in the German copyright
laws, as you can't licence uses that'll be invented in the future).

markus, not a lawyer

--
Markus Schaber -- http://www.schabi.de/ -- ICQ: 22042130