Re: filp_open() in 2.2.19 causes memory corruption

From: Jeff V. Merkey (jmerkey@vger.timpanogas.org)
Date: Wed Apr 25 2001 - 18:32:10 EST

On Mon, Apr 23, 2001 at 11:47:27PM +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:

David/LKML,

I've gotten to the bottom of this problem, and you are correct that klog
is trashing the messages file for the oops. As for the oops, it was related
to the use of ll_rw_blk() instead of submit_bh() in 2.4.3 which was causing
memory corruption in Linus' buffer cache code. In NetWare, we used to
create a signature field for I/O and other structures that were submitted
by modules other than the media manager.

This would be useful for the buffer cache to put in a signature field so
if he ever gets back a buffer head that is not his, the buffer cache
could drop it with a noisy message rather than have memory corruption
and other side effects that take days to track down.

Jeff