Re: routing & ipchains

From: james rich (james.rich@m.cc.utah.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 26 2001 - 04:18:41 EST

On Wed, 25 Apr 2001, Andrew B. Cramer wrote:

> Greetings All,

Hey Andy - haven't heard from you since work on a replacement linuxHQ (ahh
- those were the days, lot's of free time :) )

> After upgrading from kernel 2.0.38 w/ slackware-3.4 to
> kernel 2.2.16 w/ slackware-7.1 I have developed the following
> routing problems.

When upgrading slackware (not a complete reinstall) it doesn't replace you
rc scripts in /etc/rc.d. 2.2.x has a /proc entry to enable forwarding.
You need to echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward to enable forwarding.
Newer slackware does this in /etc/rc.d/rc.inet2.

I'm not sure this is your problem. If you installed slackware new without
upgrading this probably isn't the answer.

James Rich
james.rich@m.cc.utah.edu