Re: kernel panic with 2.4.x and reiserfs

From: Chris Mason (mason@suse.com)
Date: Fri Apr 27 2001 - 09:24:10 EST

On Friday, April 27, 2001 02:40:50 AM -0700 jason
<jason@lacan.dabney.caltech.edu> wrote:

[ ouch ]

> reiserfs_read_super: can't find reiserfs filesystem on dev 03:01
> Invalid session # or type of track
>
> In case it's any help, I'm running Debian "sid" under kernel 2.4.3. hda
> is a Western Digital WD400 (UDMA 100) while hdc is a Maxtor 36.5 GB. I
> have a 900 Mhz Athlon on an Abit KT7A, the latter containing the South
> Bridge VIA VT82C686B and a North Bridge VIA VT8363A.
> Any info on how I could possibly retrieve data from my disk (hda) would
> be greatly appreciated...

Looks like you've hit the pot-luck of VIA problems, and elevator bugs
(2.4.1). When the last crash hit, did you recycle with the power button or
the reset button?

Step one, if you can, get a backup of the raw device. This will make
everything easier if there are problems in step 3.

Step two, grab the latest reiserfsprogs from
ftp.reiserfs.org/pub/reiserfsprogs.

Step three, reiserfsck --rebuild-sb ; reiserfsck --rebuild-tree

Drop me a line if there are any questions.

-chris