Re: X15 alpha release: as fast as TUX but in user space

From: Ingo Molnar (mingo@elte.hu)
Date: Sat Apr 28 2001 - 08:21:05 EST

On Sat, 28 Apr 2001, Ville Herva wrote:

> Uhh, perhaps I'm stupid, but why not cache the date field and update
> the field once a five seconds? Or even once a second?

yes, that should work. but that means possibly updating thousands of (or
more) cached headers, which has some overhead ...

> I mean, at the rate of thousands of requests per second that should
> give you some advantage over dynamically generating it -- especially
> if that's the only thing hindering copletely sendfile()'ing the
> answer.

well, the method i suggested was to use sendfile() twice: first the
(cached, or freshly constructed) headers put into a big file, then the
body itself (which is the original file, accessed via cached file
descriptors).

(splitting up the header and the body has the benefit of not dual-caching
the same webcontent. this is what TUX does too.)

        Ingo