Re: 2.4 and 2GB swap partition limit

From: David Lang (david.lang@digitalinsight.com)
Date: Sat Apr 28 2001 - 13:21:26 EST

at the low end useing a bit of disk for swap doesn't hurt, I ran into a
case a couple years ago on AIX systems. we buy them with 2G ram so that we
don't need to swap, but discovered (the hard way) that we also needed to
allocate 4G of disk space for those boxes (allocating less then 2G meant
that we couldn't use the 2G of RAM). This meant that we had to go out and
buy 2nd hard drives for every machine, just to put the swap files on.

now disks are larger today so it's not as much of an issue, but even with
modern 9-18G drives you can end up eating up 20% or more on a large
machine, this starts to be significant. you can try to say that any box
with that much ram must have lots of disk as well, and most of the time
you will be right, but not all the time. there are cases (webservers for
example) where the machines will be built with lots of RAM and CPU and
little disk becouse they get all their content and put all their logs
elsewhere on the network. in fact with the advances in flash size and the
desire to create high performance clusters, I would not be surprised to
see web node machines produced with no hard drives. it means one less
thing that can break on the system (think a rack of transmeta powered
boxes with no moving parts in the rack except possibly fans)

David Lang