Re: Dane-Elec PhotoMate Combo

From: Matthew Dharm (mdharm-kernel@one-eyed-alien.net)
Date: Sat Apr 28 2001 - 20:06:16 EST

On Sat, Apr 28, 2001 at 05:02:21PM +0200, Andries.Brouwer@cwi.nl wrote:
> I just got a Dane-Elec PhotoMate Combo SmartMedia/CompactFlash reader
> manufactured by SCM Microsystems. It is a USB device with ID 04e6:0005.
>
> The http://www.qbik.ch/usb/devices/ list of supported devices
> calls this thing unsupported, and mailhot@enst.fr writes:
> "I want this to work ! I'll help testing."
>
> I think the status can be changed to fully supported, at least
> it works fine in my first tests.
>
> Changes required:
> (i) in sd.c there is a peculiar code fragment that assumes
> that a removable disk is write protected in case the status is unknown;
> reversing this default allows writing to the flash card.

This is an unsafe assumption. The code fragment you call "peculiar" is
definately necessary.

> (ii) this card needs usb/storage/dpcm.c which is compiled when
> CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_DPCM is set, but this variable is missing
> from usb/Config.in. Add it.

This config option is considered so immature that it's not ready for the
kernel config, even as an EXPERIMENTAL. Use it at your own risk.

Matt

--
Matthew Dharm                              Home: mdharm-usb@one-eyed-alien.net

A female who groks UNIX? My universe is collapsing. -- Mike User Friendly, 10/11/1998