Re: deregister?

From: Andres Salomon (dilinger@mp3revolution.net)
Date: Sun Apr 29 2001 - 21:03:19 EST

On Sun, Apr 29, 2001 at 10:27:29PM -0300, Rik van Riel wrote:

> On Sun, 29 Apr 2001, Andres Salomon wrote:
>
> > Not to mention in various comments and documentation. Deregister,
> > according to www.m-w.com (and many other dictionaries), is not a word.
> > Is there some sort of historical significance to this being used, in
> > place of "unregister"?
>
> Yes, we're all anti-american terrorists who plan to make the
> US economy collapse by inventing lots of new words which will
> have to be added to the dictionary, making the US economy
> unable to support the ever-growing dictionaries and ensuring
> the Americans will be unable to (learn to) spell, leaving them

Americans can spell? Since when?

> dead in the water if there's ever a linguistic war between
> them and the UK.
>
> Cunning, isn't it?
>
> cheers,
>
> Rik
> --
> Virtual memory is like a game you can't win;
> However, without VM there's truly nothing to lose...
>
> http://www.surriel.com/ http://distro.conectiva.com/
>
> Send all your spam to aardvark@nl.linux.org (spam digging piggy)

Well, at least you provided a reason. ;P That would be incredibly lame
if the answer turned out to be, "The original author made a mistake,
and no one cared enough to fix it. API users (who are constantly
mixing up unregister and deregister) be damned."

--
"... being a Linux user is sort of like living in a house inhabited
by a large family of carpenters and architects. Every morning when