Common GUI Config for All Users

From: cacook@freedom.net
Date: Mon Apr 30 2001 - 10:55:25 EST

Looking for the best way to give all users a common desktop, which comes from one source (for easy administration).

Found copying my /root/.gnome & .sawfish directories to a user home breaks the user's GUI, implying a symlink wouldn't work. I am told .gnome & .sawfish can be copied to /etc/skel to give common look for new users, but need ongoing single-source control. Besides, I tried copying root's config files to skel & it broke user GUIs.

Security is also a concern, so couldn't symlink into root anyway.

Symlinked root's panel file & folder to non-prived user's, but adding/removing an applet in root does not seem to affect the user's desktop.

Recommendations & resources welcomed, please.

--
C.

The best way out is always through. - Robert Frost A Servant to Servants, 1914 - To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/