Re: Alpha compile problem solved by Andrea (pte_alloc)

From: Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@suse.de)
Date: Mon Apr 30 2001 - 12:07:47 EST

On Mon, Apr 30, 2001 at 05:56:41PM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> > On alpha it's racy if you set CONFIG_ALPHA_LARGE_VMALLOC y (so don't do
> > that as you don't need it). As long as you use only 1 entry of the pgd
> > for the whole vmalloc space (CONFIG_ALPHA_LARGE_VMALLOC n) alpha is
> > safe.
>
> Its racy for all cases on the Alpha because the exception table fixes are
> not done.

you're talking about the module races, I was only talking only about
vmalloc lazy pgd mapping, they're different things even if they are
both related to the page fault hanlder.

I don't use modules on the alpha so...

> > OTOH x86 is racy and there's no workaround available at the moment.
>
> -ac fixes all known problems there

I will check that shortly, thanks. (so far all the fixes I seen floating
around for such races were wrong)

Andrea