Re: X15 alpha release: as fast as TUX but in user space

From: Ingo Molnar (mingo@elte.hu)
Date: Wed May 02 2001 - 03:50:38 EST

On Sun, 29 Apr 2001, Fabio Riccardi wrote:

> TUX has definitively been my performance yardstick for the development
> of X15, but I had many sources of inspiration for the X15
> architecture. Maybe the most relevant are the Flash Web Server (Pai,
> Druschel, Zwaenepoel), several Linus observations on this list about
> (web) server architecture and kernnel services, and the reading of the
> Hennessy & Patterson architecture books. [...]

i think Zach's phhttpd is an important milestone as well, it's the first
userspace webserver that shows how to use event-based, sigio-based async
networking IO and sendfile() under Linux. (I believe it had some
performance problems related to sigio queue overflow, these issues might
be solved in the latest kernels.) The zerocopy enhancements should help
phhttpd as well.

        Ingo