Re: Compiling kernel

From: Anton Altaparmakov (aia21@cus.cam.ac.uk)
Date: Wed May 02 2001 - 08:12:03 EST

On Wed, 2 May 2001 alad@hss.hns.com wrote:
> The question may sound very stupid... But I have following doubt.
>
> suppose I am making some change in sched.c and now I want to build my kernel
> that reflects the change..
> Is there any way I can avoid answering all the questions when I do make zImage ?
>
> In short how should I compile the kernel (in very small time) to see my changes.

Assuming you have already configured your kernel and previously compiled
it then no questions should be asked. - The way I work is to do make
bzImage, try it, modify. make bzImage, try, etc... No questions asked.

If you did an accidental make mrproper or make clean in between then make
a copy of you old .config (I keep mine in /usr/src/my2.4.4config for
example so I would do from /usr/src/linux: cp ../my2.4.4config .config)
then run make oldconfig

followed by make dep && make bzImage

In future don't do a make mrproper or clean for that matter. All modified
files are automatically recompiled while non-modified ones are taken from
old compile. - This saves incredible amounts of time when using a Pentium
133 for development...

> Thanks (for not flaming me)

You are welcome. (-:

HTH,