Re: Requirement of make oldconfig [was: Re: [kbuild-devel] Re: CML2 1.3.1, aka ...]

From: Horst von Brand (vonbrand@inf.utfsm.cl)
Date: Thu May 03 2001 - 07:32:07 EST

John Stoffel <stoffel@casc.com> said:

[...]

> No, we're just asking you to make the CML2 parser more tolerant of old
> and possibly broken configs.

It is _much_ easier on everybody involved to just bail out and ask the user
(once!) to rebuild the configuration from scratch starting from the defaults.

If you support broken configurations in any way, your program is just
wildly guessing what they did mean. The exact (and very probably not in any
way cleanly thought out) behaviour in corner cases then becomes "the way
things work", and we end up in an unmaintainable mess yet again.

Please don't.

--
Dr. Horst H. von Brand                       mailto:vonbrand@inf.utfsm.cl