RE: [RFC] Direct Sockets Support??

From: Venkatesh Ramamurthy (Venkateshr@ami.com)
Date: Thu May 03 2001 - 14:25:07 EST

> Doesn't this bypass all of the network security controls? Granted
- it is
> completely reasonable in a dedicated environment, but I would
think the
> security loss would prevent it from being used for most usage.

        Direct Sockets makes sense only in clustering (server farms) to
reduce intra-farm communication. It is *not* supposed to be used for regular
internet. Direct Sockets over subnets is also tough to implement it across
different topology subnets. Fabrics like Infiniband provide security on
hardware, so there is no need to worry about it. The simple point is that
hw supports TCP/IP, then why do we need a software TCP/IP over it?