RE: [RFC] Direct Sockets Support??

From: Venkatesh Ramamurthy (Venkateshr@ami.com)
Date: Thu May 03 2001 - 15:55:57 EST

>> technology is Infiniband . In Infiniband, the hardware supports
IPv6 . For
>> this type of devices there is no need for software TCP/IP. But
for
>> networking application, which mostly uses sockets, there is a
performance
>> penalty with using software TCP/IP over this hardware.

> IPv6 is only the bottom layer of the stack. TCP does a lot lot
more.

        Sorry to have confused you. IB supports the notion of connection
over IPv6, not exactly TCP. I just interchanged TCP and notion of connection
provided by infiniband. Infiniband is a cluster of technologies like VI, IP,
etc. So i felt that we can take advantage of this to do networking. Because
the speed of IB ranges from 2.5Gbps to 30Gbps, even a slight overhead in
software will affect performance very badly.