Re: unsigned long ioremap()?

From: David S. Miller (davem@redhat.com)
Date: Thu May 03 2001 - 19:22:20 EST

Abramo Bagnara writes:
> IMO this is a far less effective debugging strategy.

I agree with you.

But guess what driver authors are going to do? They are going to cast
the thing left and right. And sure you can then search for that, but
it isn't likely to make people fix this from the start.

I suppose the point is that there is a fine line wrt. using APIs to
influence people to "do the right thing", and this has been
exemplified in several threads I've been involved in wrt. PCI dma
and other topics. :-)

One final point, I want to reiterate that I believe:

        foo = readl(&regs->bar);

is perfectly legal and should not be discouraged and in particular,
not made painful to do.

Later,
David S. Miller
davem@redhat.com