added a new feature: disable pc speaker

From: Nico Schottelius (nicos@pcsystems.de)
Date: Fri May 04 2001 - 06:37:08 EST

Hi guys!

I have searched a long time for a method to disable the internal
speaker for every application, every daemon and so on.
With the help of [] I have found the right file :

drivers/char/vt.c

Now I have made some changes to this file (from 2.4.4 kernel).
I wanted to ask you whether you can/will put this feature into the next
kernel release (f.i. 2.4.5).
Below is a description of what I did, hope I changed the right
files and didn't brake any kernel structure...
That's also the reason I don't send a config.in diff.

Regards,

Nico

1. Changed vt.c (diff attached)
2. Changed arch/{i386,alpha,ppc,arm,mips}/config.in :

if [ "$CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL" = "y" ]; then
   bool ' Disable the PC-Speaker' CONFIG_DISABLE_PC_SPEAKER
fi

(should be the last item of the 'General Setup' Menu)

3. Changed init/main.c (diff attached)
4. wrote text for Configure.help:

Disables the Internal (PC) speaker
CONFIG_DISABLE_PC_SPEAKER
  Whenever you don't want your computer to be able to beep,
  choose this option. Not selected, the computer will be able
  to beep.

  Attention: This will not catch the beeps made directly by the
  BIOS (mostly this happens when using a notebook and pressing
  special key codes). To disable this "BIOS-beep" enter the
  BIOS and change it there.

  If you are unsure, say N to this.

If you allow this thing to get into the kernel, could
Axel Bold (axel@uni-paderborn.de as found in Configure.help)
put this text into the Configure.help file ?