kernel BUG at dcache.h:251

From: Brian Kuschak (brian.kuschak@skystream.com)
Date: Sun May 06 2001 - 20:10:19 EST

Running snmpd or httpd overnight causes this oops: (kernel BUG at
/home/brian/linux/include/linux/dcache.h:251! - in dget() called from
d_alloc())
Occasionally I see: de_put: entry net already free! before the oops.

I've been able to reliably reproduce the problem in 15 minutes by running
this instead:
while /bin/true; do cat /proc/net/* 2>/dev/null > /tmp/junk; done;

The system fails when trying to open /proc/net/tcp, for example, and finds
that net has a zero dentry->d_count.

2.4.3 on a PPC405, with root fs (ext2) on ramdisk. Any ideas on why this is
happening? The system is stable otherwise.

Thanks, Brian
(Please CC my email address)