Re: ECN: Volunteers needed

From: David S. Miller (davem@redhat.com)
Date: Tue May 08 2001 - 21:41:22 EST

jamal writes:
> Help is needed to contact these site owners and politely using a standard
> email ask them that their site was non-conformant.
> Point them to Sally's draft and the fact that ECN is becoming standard
> in the next week or so. Also to Jeff's ECN-under-Linux Unofficial
> Vendor Support Page, and to encourage them to have their firewall
> or load-balancer upgraded.
> I suppose the first volunteer needed is to draft such an email. We have to
> be polite and persistent for this to work.

I believe it would only be prudent to actually send out these messages
starting at the moment ECN is officially standard.

This was the big argument I was running into from sites, "well it
isn't standard yet, when it is we'll do something about it". The
larger sites like to avoid updates until absolutely necessary.

If we are to improve ECN deployment, we should understand the
priorities of the people who run the sites which stand in the way
of our doing so.

Later,
David S. Miller
davem@redhat.com