Re: Wow! Is memory ever cheap!

From: Marty Leisner (leisner@rochester.rr.com)
Date: Tue May 08 2001 - 23:24:25 EST

I'm confused by the "lets not use ECC and use bk" talk.

My understanding is suns big machines stopped using ecc and they
started to have "random" problems running big-iron applications
that took them a while to figure out (and a lot of bad press) and can
only be rectified in the big cycle (this was last year so its probably solved
now).

I thought one of the primary reasons to have ecc is to catch
wierd things before they become catostrophic...and at least
know WHY weirdness is happening...

marty