Re: [Lse-tech] Re: Linux 2.4 Scalability, Samba, and Netbench

From: Maneesh Soni (smaneesh@sequent.com)
Date: Wed May 09 2001 - 23:51:05 EST

On Wed, May 09, 2001 at 12:30:35PM -0500, Andrew M. Theurer wrote:
> I do have kernprof ACG and lockmeter for a 4P run. We saw no
> significant problems with lockmeter. csum_partial_copy_generic was the
> highest % in profile, at 4.34%. I'll see if we can get some space on
> http://lse.sourceforge.net to post the test data.
>
> Andrew Theurer
>
> Mike Kravetz wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, May 09, 2001 at 11:29:22AM -0500, Andrew M. Theurer wrote:
> > >
> > > I am evaluating Linux 2.4 SMP scalability, using Netbench(r) as a
> > > workload with Samba, and I wanted to get some feedback on results so
> > > far.
> >
> > Do you have any kernel profile or lock contention data?
> >
> > --
> > Mike Kravetz mkravetz@sequent.com
> > IBM Linux Technology Center

Hello Andrew,

If in the kernprof data you find "fget" as one of the high rankers (say in top
10) then can you try the scalable FD management patch which uses
read-copy-update mechanism for protecting files_struct.

As of now there are working patches available for read-copy-update mechanism
and FD management at "http://lse.sourceforge.net/locking/rclock.html" as
rclock-2.4.2-01.patch and files_struct_rcu-2.4.2-03.patch but we are working on
simpler interfaces. Also let me know if you need the patches for a different
2.4 kernel version.

Maneesh

--
Maneesh Soni