eepro100/usb interrupts stop with 2.4.x kernels?

From: Michael Poole (poole@troilus.org)
Date: Thu May 10 2001 - 19:17:49 EST

Since about 2.4.2, I have been seeing intermittent hangs on my system;
usually once or twice a week, but once just 10 minutes after rebooting.

What seems to happen is that the kernel stops seeing interrupts on the
IRQ shared by eth0 (my outside interface) and usb-uhci. I can still
ssh in on eth1, and when I do, syslog contains things like "eth0:
Interrupt timed out" and usb-uhci griping about devices that failed to
accept new endpoints.

I'm not sure if for some reason my chipset stopped passing these
interrupts on to the kernel, or if the kernel got into some funny
state and stopped accepting those interrupts. Any hints on where I
should look?

>From /proc/interrupts now:
           CPU0 CPU1
  0: 243741 233914 IO-APIC-edge timer
  1: 4 0 IO-APIC-edge keyboard
  2: 0 0 XT-PIC cascade
  8: 0 0 IO-APIC-edge rtc
 10: 0 0 IO-APIC-level EMU10K1
 11: 18775 17937 IO-APIC-level usb-uhci, eth0
 12: 1221 1236 IO-APIC-level eth1
 14: 84039 68162 IO-APIC-edge ide0
 15: 18 18 IO-APIC-level BusLogic BT-950
NMI: 0 0