Re: x86 bootmem corruption

From: Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@suse.de)
Date: Fri May 11 2001 - 11:27:39 EST

On Fri, May 11, 2001 at 05:18:35PM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> > reserved. This is the fix against 2.4.5pre1. This might explain weird
> > crashes and "reserved twice" error messages at boot on highmem systems.
>
> Reserved twice occurs for two known reasons
>
> BIOS reporting the same region twice or overlaps (fixed in -ac sent to Linus)
> find_smp_config blindly reserves pages that may already be marked as ROM and
> thus reserved anyway

when it happens because of a double reserve that's fine I know, it _can_
be harmless, I'm not trying to hide those messages. What I'm saying is
that it can _also_ indicate somebody allocated the page before we reserved
it and currently x86 allocates from the bootmem allocator before
reserving all its pages, that's a bug and I provided the fix.

Andrea