Re: bandwidth

From: Ralf Baechle (ralf@uni-koblenz.de)
Date: Fri May 11 2001 - 10:11:46 EST

On Wed, May 02, 2001 at 09:35:05AM -0000, mirabilos wrote:

> > What you have todo is to learn how to configure your mailer to display
> > headers you want.
>
> Not the displaying annoys me, it's the traffic. The headers usually are
> less than multiple quoted sigs, though.

Headers serve a technical purpose. So for example adding Received: headers
is a MUST according to RFC 2822, 3.8.2:

3.8.2 Received Lines in Gatewaying

   When forwarding a message into or out of the Internet environment, a
   gateway MUST prepend a Received: line, but it MUST NOT alter in any
   way a Received: line that is already in the header.

Similar for the other headers; basically all of them cannot be removed
without loosing functionality or putting the reliability of the mail
system at stake. Let me just say mail loops ...

  Ralf