Re: PATCH: Enable IP PNP for 2.4.4-ac8

From: Eric W. Biederman (ebiederm@xmission.com)
Date: Sun May 13 2001 - 14:24:18 EST

"H . J . Lu" <hjl@lucon.org> writes:

> It doesn't make any senses. When I specify CONFIG_IP_PNP and
> BOOTP/DHCP, I want a kernel with IP config using BOOTP/DHCP. I would
> expect IP config is turned for BOOTP/DHCP by default. You can turn
> it off by passing "ip=off" to kernel. Did I miss something?

Since you have to set the command line anyway ip=dhcp is no extra
burden and it lets you use the same kernel to boot of the harddrive etc.

> > This same situation exists for 2.2.18 & 2.2.19 as well.
> >
> > The only way to get long term stability out of this is to write
> > a user space client, you can put in a ramdisk. One of these days...
>
> It doesn't work with diskless machines which don't support ramdisk
> during boot.

I don't believe that is a real world situation.

I boot diskless all of time and supporting a ramdisk is trivial. You
just a have a program that slaps a kernel a ramdisk, and some command
line arguments into a single image, along with a touch of adapter code
to set the kernel parameters correctly and then boot that.

Eric