Re: Linux TCP impotency

From: bert hubert (ahu@ds9a.nl)
Date: Sun May 13 2001 - 15:54:15 EST

On Sun, May 13, 2001 at 09:38:53PM +0200, clock@ghost.btnet.cz wrote:
> Using 2.2.19 I discovered that running two simultaneous scp's (uses up whole
> capacity in TCP traffic) on a 115200bps full duplex serial port nullmodem cable
> causes the earlier started one to survive and the later to starve. Running bcp
> instead of the second (which uses UDP) at 11000 bytes per second caused the
> utilization in both directions to go up nearly to 100%.
>
> Is this a normal TCP stack behaviour?

Might very well be. Read about different forms of (class based) queuing
which try (and succeed) to improve IP in this respect. TCP is not fair and
IP has no intrinsic features to help you. http://ds9a.nl/2.4Routing contains
some explanations and links.

SFQ sounds like it might fit your bill.

Regards,

bert

--
http://www.PowerDNS.com      Versatile DNS Services
Trilab                       The Technology People