Re: Not a typewriter

From: Mike A. Harris (mharris@opensourceadvocate.org)
Date: Sun May 13 2001 - 18:39:48 EST

On Fri, 11 May 2001, Hacksaw wrote:

>Well, I can't disagree. Unix's biggest turn off was the stupid command names.

I agree partially with that, but as someone who's used DCL in
VMS, I can say meaningful names are no better. People don't want
to type SHOW DIRECTORY or CREATE /DIRECTORY /PERMISSIONS=blah
blah.. and when given DCL, once people understand how to create
logical names (the equiv of aliases in unix) they alias the above
verbose garbage down to 2-4 letter cryptic looking names. I
don't know anyone who has used VMS for more than 3 months who
hasn't done the above. Problem is that everyone chooses their
own cryptic shortcuts from everyone else. At least in UNIX, the
short cryptic names are the same everywhere, and you can alias
them to larger names if you like.