Re: PATCH: Enable IP PNP for 2.4.4-ac8

From: David S. Miller (davem@redhat.com)
Date: Sun May 13 2001 - 22:03:33 EST

Eric W. Biederman writes:
> Mostly I like the situation where I can compile it in and turn it on
> when I need it, instead of having to do thing differently if it is
> compiled in or not.
>
> ip=on is all it really takes.

This is the main reason I like the current 2.4.x behavior.

I hate config options that change how the core of the kernel
boot makes decisions. Things like "where is root", "what is
my network address or where do I get that information" have
no reasonable default. This is why the command line args
are there.

If you want a kernel which automatically does "foo", you have
several options already by which to do this:

1) Many platforms allow you to store a boot comand line
   in the firmware (Sparc, several MIPS, PPC, etc.)

2) Failing #1, you can add a default prefix/postfix to the
   kernel command line at build time if you wish, just add
   some simple variable to the toplevel Makefile and have
   init/main.c frob this thing onto the kernel command
   line string after initially fetching it.

Really, H. J., you are asking for a static command line feature.
That's cool, so add it :-)

Later,
David S. Miller
davem@redhat.com