Re: Minor numbers

From: Andries.Brouwer@cwi.nl
Date: Mon May 14 2001 - 11:53:05 EST

>>> 20:12 is more common

>> Which is major, which is minor?

> 20bit major

That is not more common. Around us we see major:minor splits
8:24, 12:20, 14:18. If we want to use NFSv3 and communicate
with all these systems we would do wise to use 32:32.

[Reminds me of a discussion that ended unfinished.
Stage 1: "64 bits? Never in hell!"
Answer 1: These 64 bits do not make the kernel slow.
  Indeed, the kernel uses a 32-bit pointer.
Stage 2: "but I am on a holy crusade"
Answer 2: These bits are not about bloat but about the width of
  the communication channel between user space and filesystem.
Stage 3: <silence so far>
Wonder whether Linus still objects. Let me cc him.]

Andries