Re: Not a typewriter

From: Kai Henningsen (kaih@khms.westfalen.de)
Date: Mon May 14 2001 - 17:22:00 EST

Wayne.Brown@altec.com wrote on 11.05.01 in <86256A49.00800177.00@smtpnotes.altec.com>:

> I think man is the best help system ever devised. (The GNU Info system,
> however, is the spawn of Satan. :-)

Both have good and bad parts. HTML and PDF are yet other such candidates.

Something better is needed, but no two people seem to agree on what
exactly it should be.

What I want: search support at least as good as Info (which is not very,
but better than the other two); structure like man; support for both short
refcard style and long reference book style treatments; one standard
format that can be supported on console, X, or via a Web interface ... oh,
and standard key bindings at least don't force people to play at Emacs.

MfG Kai