Re: LANANA: To Pending Device Number Registrants

From: Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Date: Mon May 14 2001 - 18:48:44 EST

> Why can't we configure this in user space? I think of something like
> /etc/major-numbers. We could then tell the kernel at module load time what
> major number to use for a given driver.

We've got one of those lists. H Peter Anvin maintains it.

Don't get me wrong - if in 2.5.x someone can produce a scheme which works and
works well I'll be more than happy to be proved wrong, and Im sure hpa will
be glad his registrar role now becomes default device naming not numbers
and I suspect moves into the FHS/LSB. After all numbering or not most
vendors will want to ship a common device naming scheme, at least unless
they have fundamental reasons why not to (eg a desire to use arabic names)

Alan