Reiserfs, Mongo and CPU question

From: Ricardo Galli (gallir@uib.es)
Date: Tue May 15 2001 - 06:41:01 EST

Hans and reiserfs developers,
        the same student of my university
(http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/linux/linux-kernel/2001-18/0654.html) was
carrying up the mongo benchmarks against reiser, xfs, jfs and ext2 for
different base sizes.

For example, for the base size of 10.000 (the average of a clean
distribution is about 16.000 bytes) ReiserFS is even slower than ext2. I've
realised the bottleneck may be the CPU, a Cyrix MII 233MHz.

FSYS=ext2 FSYS=reiserfs

(time in sec.)
Create 32.72 / 56.90 = 0.58
Fragm. 1.49 / 2.22 = 0.67

Copy 98.53 / 131.81 = 0.75
Fragm. 1.49 / 2.26 = 0.66

Slinks 4.82 / 5.08 = 0.95
Read 187.90 / 299.23 = 0.63
Stats 1.01 / 0.99 = 1.02
Rename 2.40 / 2.23 = 1.08
Delete 6.55 / 4.82 = 1.36

Can you confirm it? We are going to do the same benchmarks on a PIII if you
think it's due to the cpu.

I don't post the URL of the benchmarks to the list because last time we were
slashdotted ;-) and we aren't convinced they are valueable, but I can send
it to you directly if you are interested.

Regards,

--
ricardo galli