Re: LANANA: To Pending Device Number Registrants

From: Kai Henningsen (kaih@khms.westfalen.de)
Date: Wed May 16 2001 - 02:17:00 EST

phillips@bonn-fries.net (Daniel Phillips) wrote on 16.05.01 in <01051602593001.00406@starship>:

> On Tuesday 15 May 2001 23:20, Nicolas Pitre wrote:
> > Personally, I'd really like to see /dev/ttyS0 be the first detected
> > serial port on a system, /dev/ttyS1 the second, etc.
>
> There are well-defined rules for the first four on PC's. The ttySx
> better match the labels the OEM put on the box.

Sorry, but that turns out not to be the case.

There are some rules for devices called COMx (x=1..4, ports much more than
interrupts[1]), but I haven't ever seen a box that had a "ttySx" label
from the manufacturer. And you can easily renumber those; the BIOS uses a
4-entry lookup table for the ports.

[1] COM1=3F8, COM2=2F8, COM3=3E8, COM2=2E8

MfG Kai