Re: wrong /dev/sd... order with multiple adapters in kernel 2.4.4

From: Michael Meissner (meissner@spectacle-pond.org)
Date: Wed May 16 2001 - 13:02:12 EST

On Wed, May 16, 2001 at 01:38:37PM +0200, Massimo Dal Zotto wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have recently upgraded the kernel from 2.2.19 to 2.4.4 and discovered
> that it assigns the /dev/sd... devices in the wrong order with respect both
> to the behavior of kernel 2.2.19 and to the `scsihosts' boot option which I
> specified at the boot prompt.
>
> I have a scsi-only machine with an Adaptec 7890 and an old Symbios 53c875.
> The Adaptec mounts an LVD disk with the root and home partitions while the
> Symbios mounts two additional disks used for other purposes:

> The only way to solve my problem was to modify the makefiles and link the
> aic7xxx driver before the sym53c8xx, but this is a solution only for my
> specific case. With my patch the Adaptec is initialized first and I get
> a more consistent order of the scsi devices:
>
> /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0 /dev/sda
> /dev/scsi/host1/bus0/target0/lun0 /dev/sdb
> /dev/scsi/host1/bus0/target4/lun0 /dev/sdc

I had the same problem. The fix that I use is to compile the Symbios
driver as a module, and add:

        alias scsi_hostadapter1 sym53c8xx

to my /etc/modules.conf. That way, when the kernel boots, it will only see the
Adaptec driver.

--
Michael Meissner, Red Hat, Inc.  (GCC group)
Work:	  meissner@redhat.com		phone: +1 978-486-9304