Re: CPU overheat with 2.2

From: Mikael Pettersson (mikpe@csd.uu.se)
Date: Thu May 17 2001 - 04:48:44 EST

Simon Richter writes:
> I just switched my brother's computer to a 2.2 kernel, and now the CPU
> overheats under Linux after about half an hour (reproducible). It works
> fine under Windows 95b and worked under Linux 2.0.38.
>
> CPU is a Pentium 166 MMX on an Asus TX97 mainboard, ISA cards are a 3c509
> and a Soundblaster.
> CONFIG_APM=y
> CONFIG_APM_DO_ENABLE=y
> CONFIG_APM_CPU_IDLE=y
> CONFIG_APM_DISPLAY_BLANK=y

Try leaving CONFIG_APM_CPU_IDLE unset. I've learned the hard way that this
option doesn't do any good on many boards, and actually can _increase_ the
CPU temperature by preventing Linux' ordinary "hlt when idle" from triggering.
My ASUS P3B-F + PIII dropped 10+ degrees C when I unset CONFIG_APM_CPU_IDLE.
YMMW, of course.

/Mikael