newbie problem: compiling kernel 2.4.4, make modules_install , Help please !

From: Joel Cordonnier (jocordonnier@yahoo.fr)
Date: Thu May 17 2001 - 13:50:46 EST

Hi !

It's the first time that i try to compile my own
kernel. At the moment, I have an old RH 6.1 with a
2.2.12 kernel.

I have downloaded the latest stable kernel 2.4.4
tar.gz kernel.

I follow these steps:
- make xonfig (a give what i need)
- make dep (for dependencies)
- make bzImage.
All seems OK for these steps.

Then
- make modules and
- make modules_install ==> PROBLEM !

FIRST the message say that no argument -F exist for
the command /sbin/depmod. So I change in the Makefile
the call
if [ -r System.map ]; then /sbin/depmod -ae -F
System.map 2.4.4; fi
if [ -r System.map ]; then /sbin/depmod -ae System.map
 2.4.4; fi

AFTER THIS CHANGE, i have the following error:

make[1]: Entering directory
`/usr/src/linux-2.4.4/arch/i386/mm'
make[1]: Nothing to be done for `modules_install'.
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/usr/src/linux-2.4.4/arch/i386/mm'
make -C arch/i386/lib modules_install
make[1]: Entering directory
`/usr/src/linux-2.4.4/arch/i386/lib'
make[1]: Nothing to be done for `modules_install'.
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/usr/src/linux-2.4.4/arch/i386/lib'
cd /lib/modules/2.4.4; \
mkdir -p pcmcia; \
find kernel -path '*/pcmcia/*' -name '*.o' | xargs -i
-r ln -sf ../{} pcmcia
if [ -r System.map ]; then /sbin/depmod -ae System.map
 2.4.4; fi
can't open /lib/modules/System.map/modules.dep

I check, and there is no file or directory named
/lib/modules/System.map or directory!

Help please !
Thanks
Joel