Re: CML2 design philosophy heads-up

From: Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Date: Fri May 18 2001 - 10:38:08 EST

> 1. When we have a platform symbol for a reference design like MVME147, do
> we stick to its spec sheet or consider it representative of all derivatives
> (which may have other facilities)?

At most it bounds the busses directly available. I've yet to see VME cardbus
adapters but its quite possible.

> I don't want to do (a); it conflicts with my design objective of
> simplifying configuration enough that Aunt Tillie can do it. I won't
> do that unless I see a strong consensus that it's the only Right Thing.

Its a good way of getting the defaults right. It may also be an appropriate
way of guiding presentation (eg putting the stuff the ruleset says you wont
have under a subcategory so you would see

                CPU type
                Devices
                blah
                blah