Re: APIC, AMD-K6/2 -mcpu=586...

From: Bill Pringlemeir (bpringle@sympatico.ca)
Date: Fri May 18 2001 - 14:20:26 EST

 JAM> That is not the problem. The problem is that the registers have
 JAM> to lay in a defined way, transcribed to a C struct, and that
 JAM> pgcc lays badly that struct.

 WJP> Yes, I understand that. I was showing a way to find the value
 WJP> of padding needed to align the register store in the structure.
 WJP> Perhaps I should have shown a mod to asm/processor.h,
[snip]
 WJP> I was describing a way to make things independent of the
 WJP> compiler layout of the structs. However, this complicates the
 WJP> build process, and people might not like the padding due to
 WJP> cache alignment details.

Sorry, they would obviously declare it as such if the kernel developers
wanted to.

        /* floating point info */
        unsigned char fpAlign[0] __attribute__ ((aligned (16)));
        union i387_union i387;

This is a much simpler way of achieving what I was trying to explain
previously. I think that this syntax has been in the GCC extensions
for some time.

regards,
Bill Pringlemeir.