Unresolved symbol compiling a standalone module?

From: Torrey Hoffman (torrey.hoffman@myrio.com)
Date: Fri May 18 2001 - 17:41:20 EST

I'm compiling a standalone kernel module outside the kernel tree.
The compile completes fine, but when I try to insmod it, I get:

unresolved symbol printk_R1b7d4074
unresolved symbol __const_udelay_Reae3dfd6

This is very strange, because a quick grep of some of the regular,
loaded modules, like /lib/modules/2.2.19/net/eepro100.o, shows that
they contain those exact symbols! So why are they "unresolved" in
mine?

CONFIG_MODVERSIONS = 1, kernel is 2.2.19 + reiserfs, and I have
checked my standalone module's makefile to ensure that it uses
_exactly_ the same gcc options as the normal kernel modules.

My /usr/include/linux directory is a symbolic link to
/usr/src/linux/include, and /usr/src/linux is the kernel I'm running.

What am I doing wrong?

Torrey Hoffman
torrey.hoffman@myrio.com